September 12, 2008

Manav meets Disha

I sit in my car a while longer wishing I didn't have to go through this social obligation. Blissfully warm sun rays filter through the glass. I pull the window down and am hit by the nip in the air. I light a cigarette and take deep puffs to relax myself. Inhale Exhale Inhale Exhale Inhale Exhale...I am reminded of the bill board advertisement of 'smoking kills'. I crush the last of my cigarette in the ash tray on the dashboard and get out of the car. I enter the smoke filled room and look for the table with familiar faces. I spot a few managers from another LOB waving at me. I approach the table with a smile plastered on my face. I can feel my mouth muscles strain with the effort. A place towards the farthest end of the table is found for me to park myself. I am back slapped a little, someone decides to order a chilled beer for me, someone pushes a plate laden with savory delights under my nose...the strong smell of spices leaves me nauseated. After several minutes of undivided attention from all quarters I am left in peace to nurse my drink and just observe all the stiff arses from work loosen up a bit. The people around me talk, laugh and drink with such gusto that I am dumbfounded at this outright display of camaraderie between the same people who cant stand each other at work. I feel disgusted and start looking for something or someone more genuine and heartwarming. I don't have to wait long for I see her exit the ladies room and saunter towards our table. She looks straight at me, forcing me to meet and hold her gaze. She walks up to where I sit and gives me a ghost of a smile. Its hard to tell whether she remembers me or not. I push my chair back and stand up. I am a foot taller, which makes her look up at me with defiance. Before I can get the words out and help her recollect our incidental meeting over a smoke break a few weeks ago, she says, "Hello stranger." So she remembers me after all. She offers me her hand while she introduces herself,"Disha...and you are?" "Manav...fancy meeting you here Disha." I remark pleasantly. She leans into me and brings her face closer to mine. I feel her breath tingle my ear when she says, "I am sleeping with your boss." A chill runs down my spine. Her perfume is wild and tangy. I haven't been close to a woman since Reia walked out on our marriage. A year is a long time. I try to keep the spirit of the conversation alive by feigning disappointment, "Pity you are gay." I smile while I say it. She doesn't find anything amiss and laughs sheepishly while she says, "Oops! Pays me right for typecasting the org structure." We both laugh and I offer her the seat I was in and signal a passing waitress to get me another one. I am conscious of several things at the same time: 1. I haven't had sex in over a year 2. Disha is an attractive woman 3. Correction. She is a very attractive woman 5. Her perfume is doing wonderful things to my senses 6. Her face is flushed and her skin is gleaming 7. She has a perfect set of pearl white teeth. She maintains dental hygiene 8. Her eyes look bigger and even better with Kohl 9. She looks super sexy when she moves her hands while talking 10. Thank God she is not wearing trinkets on her wrists today 11. She is wearing a gold bracelet instead 12. Red is definitely her color. She can't look hotter in any other color 13. She talks a lot and I think I have lost track of what she is saying "So what do you think? Should we?" She asks earnestly. "Sure. So when do you want to do it?" I have not the faintest idea of what I've just got myself into. She promptly gets up and says, "Now. Lets step out. I can't stand the heat." I follow her out into broad daylight. Its hard to keep my eyes open. I bask in the sun for a few seconds before opening my eyes and looking for/at her. I find her right next to me, squinting at the sun. "So what are we doing?" I ask nonchalantly. "Smoking a peace pipe." She generously offers me a cigarette off her pack. "Lets make love, not war..." I remark for no reason at all. I am just reminded of the statement and blurt it. She doesn't even consider it worth acknowledging and carries on smoking. We finish smoking our cigarettes in companionable silence and gear up to go back inside. Just then my phone rings. I nudge her elbow a bit and say, "Why don't you go on inside. I'll take this call and come." She smiles congenially, nods in agreement and steps into the foyer of the crowded bar. I see the call is from an unidentified number. "Manav." No one speaks, I just hear traffic in the background. I try again, "Hello? Who is this?" "Manav? Can I see you just once?" It's Reia. I disconnect the call without responding to her query. I walk briskly to the car park, get into my car and drive... ************************************** (To be continued...)

No comments: